ABOUT THE BRAND:
Smarty Symbols is a company that specializes in creating innovative communication tools designed and speech therapy materials to break communication barriers. Our products are designed to be used in the classroom, at home, and in the community to help bridge the communication gap. All children deserve to feel included regardless of their different communication modes. We should make sure that public spaces are ready to accommodate all learners. We do this with our proprietary image library of 60,000 images designed for education, our classroom technology, and our new initiative in public spaces with the communication boards.
OUR COMMUNICATION BOARD:
Smarty Symbols has developed a line of copyrighted communication boards for public spaces called Smarty Boards. We have designed boards for city and school playgrounds, libraries, classrooms, doctor’s offices, waiting rooms, therapy clinics, churches, recreational centers, waterparks and also healthcare communication board. It will make sure children with different communication modes feel included and can fully participate in social interactions in the playground. The board is used for all children in the playground including non-readers and early communicators.
WHY USE OUR COMMUNICATION BOARD?
Our board is designed to bridge the communication gap that often exists for non-speaking children and early learners in public spaces such as playgrounds. It will be used as a tool for learning and communication with their peers, teachers, and other school staff and aac device for autism. It can help them practice their language skills and build their confidence in communication.
HOW TO USE COMMUNICATION BOARD?
The board is easy to use! Simply attach it to a wall or fence in the playground. Instructions and ideas for board usage are included on the board. Kids can then use the board by pointing to each word to communicate.
These boards are designed specifically for outdoor areas of schools. We have included vocabulary words that are more pertinent to this location.
- Plastic: Durable plastic signs printed with UV ink on or 6MM PVC plastic (sintra). Long-lasting signs for indoor or outdoor use! Estimated Lifespan:5+ years with proper placement and care. Our plastic boards can be placed on wood back post or attached to fences with zip ties or other methods.
- Wooden: Weather resistant wooden signs printed using a four-color UV printing process on high-density fiberboard. Four color process, eco-friendly, weather, fade and abrasion resistant UV ink. .5” thick (about the thickness of 127 sheets of copy paper)
- Aluminum: Made from 3mm aluminum sheets sandwiching a solid polyethylene core, our aluminum signs are weather-resistant and perfect for water activity environments. They are printed with eco-friendly, weather, fade, and abrasion-resistant UV ink, and an optional extra UV protection glossy layer can be added for further protection.
Estimated Lifespan:5+ years with proper placement and care.
WHAT TEXT ARE ON THE BOARDS?
Since these boards will be available to the public, we found it very important to address some existing challenges on the board. Each board contains instructions with guidance to families that will be interacting with the child. The boards also include awareness about the importance of early intervention, for families and caregivers who may not yet be familiar with the free resources available in the community.
- Point to the symbols/words while you talk. It will help your child develop and expand language.
- If your child points to a particular picture, say the meaning of that picture out loud. For example: If your child points to the “cold” picture. Your could ask “Oh! Are you cold?” Or you could make a comment: ” Thats’ right! It is a cold day!”. Have fun!
- Are you concerned about your child’s speech, language or communication? You don’t have to wait. Contact an Early Childhood Center (ECI) or your public school district for an evaluation.